The eggs you just received may have traveled a great distance and experienced excessive variations in climate, including temperature, humidity and pressure changes that may have occurred with fluctuations in altitude. These conditions, coupled with the possibility of simple human carelessness when handling the package, can sometimes make for a long and tiresome journey for the eggs to travel.
1. Carefully unwrap each egg and inspect for cracks or damage. Place aside any damaged eggs and notify seller. Do not incubate these eggs. When an egg is cracked, even if it does not penetrate through the membrane, it becomes susceptible to bacteria. These eggs can ruin your entire hatch, don’t risk it!
2. Candle the eggs to ensure the air cell at the big end of the egg in each is stable, and not “saddle bagged” or completely detached and rolling. Mark any eggs with pencil in which the air sac is “iffy”. (If any air cells look to be shaky, I highly recommend setting the eggs in your incubator vertically (big end up) and leave to incubate without the turner running for 2-3 days. As the germ develops the veining will help to stabilize the air cell at the top of the egg.)
3. Place the eggs pointy end down into an egg carton or egg hatching tray at room temperature for 24 hours prior to placing them in your preheated incubator. This “resting” period can greatly increase your chances of a successful hatch by allowing the air cell within the egg to settle back into proper position.
4. While your eggs are resting from their journey, go ahead an get your incubator fired up. This gives you 24 hours to assess that the temperature and humidity is right where you want it to be!
5. Keep the seller updated as your eggs progress and grow, and report any concerns along the way.
6. Most importantly, HAVE FUN, HAPPY HATCHING, AND ENJOY THOSE BABIES!!
Give us a holler with any questions you may have about our hatching eggs! We would love to hear from you. Please visit our contact us page to ask any questions!
Copyright © 2023 Sweetheart Silkies, Inc - All Rights Reserved